An interesting poem about young love…To me the glow or brightness from the girl’s porch light during night and day, rouge on her face, and light in her eyes, all describe the girl exuding warmth and happiness to him. The oranges he carries with him symbolize his strong feelings for the girl. Peeling one is like “a fire” in his hands. These various objects figuratively, light up an otherwise dreary fall/winter day. Soto does a great job of capturing the innocence of childhood.
I thought the video captured the innocence of young love described in the poem.
I was searching for information about the person who made the video, Emmanuel Ramos Barajas. I found a blog that he wrote in which he described making the video. He was born in Mexico and immigrated to the U.S. with his parents and five siblings. He must have made the video in middle school or high school. Here is what he said:
"I had the opportunity to experience the world of film first hand when I made an adaptation of Gary Soto´s poem “Oranges.” I filmed the 3-minute video and edited it by myself in a single day. I was able to get an insight into the cinematic world, and I became conscious that regardless of the ease with which one watches films, the process of making them is much harder. Because scarcity is the mother of invention, and my budget and time were limited, I decided to use puppets to portray the characters. I had a great time making the film, and at the end, when it was shown to an audience of 300 people, I could not have been prouder.
"No matter how irrelevant this short video might seem to others, I will always remember it because it was this that helped me understand I could materialize and visualize the writer´s ideas while allowing my creativity to take over and be successful in making films." April 30, 2011 7:39 PM
It is really interesting to read about how the poem came alive for this student when he made a video to go along with it. This is something to consider as a teacher when trying to help students find meaning in literature.
An interesting poem about young love…To me the glow or brightness from the girl’s porch light during night and day, rouge on her face, and light in her eyes, all describe the girl exuding warmth and happiness to him. The oranges he carries with him symbolize his strong feelings for the girl. Peeling one is like “a fire” in his hands. These various objects figuratively, light up an otherwise dreary fall/winter day. Soto does a great job of capturing the innocence of childhood.
ReplyDeleteTrace
I agree, I really liked the innocence portrayed by the poem. Thought the video was kind of cheesy though.
ReplyDeleteI thought the video captured the innocence of young love described in the poem.
ReplyDeleteI was searching for information about the person who made the video, Emmanuel Ramos Barajas. I found a blog that he wrote in which he described making the video. He was born in Mexico and immigrated to the U.S. with his parents and five siblings. He must have made the video in middle school or high school. Here is what he said:
"I had the opportunity to experience the world of film first hand when I made an adaptation of Gary Soto´s poem “Oranges.” I filmed the 3-minute video and edited it by myself in a single day. I was able to get an insight into the cinematic world, and I became conscious that regardless of the ease with which one watches films, the process of making them is much harder. Because scarcity is the mother of invention, and my budget and time were limited, I decided to use puppets to portray the characters. I had a great time making the film, and at the end, when it was shown to an audience of 300 people, I could not have been prouder.
"No matter how irrelevant this short video might seem to others, I will always remember it because it was this that helped me understand I could materialize and visualize the writer´s ideas while allowing my creativity to take over and be successful in making films."
April 30, 2011 7:39 PM
It is really interesting to read about how the poem came alive for this student when he made a video to go along with it. This is something to consider as a teacher when trying to help students find meaning in literature.
ReplyDelete